Foret Plasma Labs pushes hydrogen technology forwardOctober 10, 2023
The company is highly active in the industry, including its many valuable H2 patents.
Foret Plasma Labs, LLC is a company based in Houston, Texas focused on plasma research and development, but that also owns a number of patents for cutting edge hydrogen technology, helping to move H2 forward.
The company has combined plasma’s power with angular momentum for a spectrum of applications.
Foret Plasma Labs has developed, invented and patented cost-effective solutions for combining water treatment, steam generation and gasification and/or thermal oxidation into a single processing unit. The company’s plasma arc technology is able to convert liquid organic matter containing waste into syngas, which can be used as a natural gas alternative. That same tech can be used for disinfection appropriate for onsite biosolids destruction.
Founded in 2006, the company has greatly broadened both the research it conducts and the applications for its findings. This has become particularly advantageous in areas of hydrogen technology, particularly as H2 becomes an increasingly critical component of global decarbonization.
The Foret Plasma Labs product line is electrically powered and does not produce carbon emissions. This ready tech has net energy producing potential and involves a low capital cost. The products are manufactured with off-the-shelf modular components, making them easily transportable and compact. Their use results in considerably higher working temperature than fossil fuels.
Foret Plasma Labs patented hydrogen technology results in clean H2 production.
The company’s SoTrolysis™ System is a solid oxide high-temperature plasma glow discharge cell. It acts as a fuel cell which operates in a regenerative state. Comparable to the way a 12-volt battery recharging process results in greenhouse gas emissions, the SoTrolysis™ system produces hydrogen, water steam, and carbon dioxide from any liquid electrolyte.
What makes this hydrogen technology so unique is in part the central hollow cathode, which achieves a temperature higher than 1,000ºC. Using a hollow electrode through which a fluid is circulated, that fluid can then be superheated before it is used.
Valuable US Patents
Foret Plasma Labs’ work has resulted in a long list of valuable patents which include:
- Treatment of Fluids with Electromagnetic Radiation (5,832,361)
- Treatment of Fluids with Wave Energy from a Carbon Arc (7,422,695)
- Treatment of Fluids with Wave Energy from a Carbon Arc (7,578,937)
- Plasma Whirl Reactor Apparatus and Methods of Use (7,622,693)
- Apparatus for Treating Liquids with Wave Energy from an Electrical Arc (7,857,972)
- Treatment of Fluids with Wave Energy from a Carbon Arc (7,897,053)
- Treatment of Fluids with Wave Energy from a Carbon Arc (7,985,342)
- Method for Treating Liquids with Wave Energy from an Electrical Arc (8,002,992)
- Plasma Turbine Lean Combustion with Plasma from an Electrical Arc (8,074,439)
- Treatment of Fluids with Wave Energy from a Carbon Arc (8,088,290)
- System, Method and Apparatus for Treating Liquids with Wave Energy from Plasma (8,110,100)
- Solid Oxide High Temperature Electrolysis (8,278,810)
The company has also already applied for the following US patents:
- System, Method and Apparatus for Creating an Electrical Glow Discharge
- Plasma Whirl Reactor Apparatus and Methods of Use
Last year, Foret Plasma Labs sponsored the 2022 TIEEP Water Forum, which was focused on the interconnectedness of water and energy. The company’s CEO Todd Foret was a guest speaker in the segment titled “From Wastewater to 5,400ºF Steam Plasma – Your electric splitting, cracking & heating decarbonization solution”. Based on his experience as cofounder and CEO of the company and being the sole inventor on more than 125 patents worldwide, Foret was a key speaker with a focus on water splitting electrification, steam generation, graphite production and hydrogen technology using any carbon source.
In conclusion, Foret Plasma Labs is a pioneering company in the field of plasma research and development, but what sets them apart is their contribution to hydrogen tech. Their patented SoTrolysis™ System provides clean H2 production with a low carbon footprint. With a long list of valuable patents and ongoing research, the company is a leader in the industry and is contributing to global decarbonization efforts. The company has also participated in the 2022 TIEEP Water Forum, sharing their expertise and knowledge about water splitting electrification, steam generation, graphite production, and hydrogen technology. Foret Plasma Labs’ innovative solutions have the potential to revolutionize the energy industry and accelerate the transition to a cleaner, greener future.